I would like to inform you of a conference for Caribbean and Central American Botanic Gardens that is currently planned to be held in Panama September 2016. The aim of the conference is to bring regional gardens together to build and develop a strong network and to discuss relevant practical botanical topics.
The network is working with Belize Botanic Garden and Summit Municipal Park in Panama to help make this happen and we would love it if you and the gardens could attend.
The conference aims to continue the good work of the Caribbean Botanic Gardens for Conservation in a relaxed and social manner to forge partnerships and friendships. We are currently formulating a preliminary programme and costs.
Some of the proposed themes.
All gardens attending will present a short introduction to their garden. There will be trips and excursions to local sites throughout the conference.
Other sessions included:
- Botanic garden and collection management
- Fundraising alternatives for botanic gardens
- Training botanic garden staff and developing internships and exchanges
- Education and community outreach in botanic gardens (with a focus on biodiversity conservation)
- Plant procurement and propagation of native species. Growing a collections policy.
- Controlling invasive species
- Developing the action plan for a sustainable network.
It is hoped that BGCI (Botanic Gardens Conservation International) will be providing training for delegates on seed banking after the conference for delegates.
If you have any questions or would like to attend please feel free to contact me.